Issues That Unite: Latinos & Conservatism in Las Vegas, Nevada was the first city out of eight the Leadership Institute and its partnering national organizations visited. The Leadership Institute partnered with New America, a new organization in Nevada seeking to engage minorities.
The event was a success; representatives from Governor Sandoval, Senator Heller, and Congressman Heck’s office attended the event as did more than 100 other individuals.
The event was held at the Springs Preserve in Las Vegas, a venue known for hosting El Dia del Niño and El Dia de los Muertos (The day of the Child and The day of the Dead). Attendees were treated to appetizers and beverages as they networked prior to the events’ start.
The first half of the event focused on public policy and how it affects Latinos.
Isreal Ortega from The Heritage Foundation discussed economic and school public policy. Leticia Gardea, a small business owner in Las Vegas, gave her testimony as a Latina entrepreneur. Tim Mooney, representing Faith & Freedom Coalition, discussed family policy.
The second half of the event tied public policy to practical training.
Dan Garza with The Libre Initiative talked about messaging to Latinos while Adryana Boyne from VOCES Action discussed the importance of Hispanic Media.
The day concluded with an immigration panel discussion where questions regarding immigration from the audience were answered.
1. More than 100 attendees
2. Notable guests included:
-Representative from Governor Sandoval’s office
- Representative from Senator Heller’s office
- Representative from Congressman Heck’s office
- Other candidates for public office
- Leaders from New America, Libre Initiative, Heritage Foundation, VOCES Action, Tea Party Patriots and Leadership Institute
3. Red Card Solution,The Heritage Foundation, the Leadership Institute, and VOCES Action all distributed helpful materials to every attendee